Follow iwantapounddog on Twitter


Keaton and his adoptive parents found each other at the TAS-South adopt-a-thon last Saturday. We all sat around talking while Stephen hung onto Keaton's leash and after about two hours of conversing, I realized they would be the best choice.

I would have brought Keaton over to them on Sunday but he started getting diarrhea and when it got worse on Monday, I talked to a vet tech at TAS-South and Panacure was prescribed. Tuesday wasn't much better so another dose of Panacure in the evening. Wednesday morning and it was still kind of yucky. I dropped him off at TAS in the morning fully expecting to pick him up after work but when I showed up in the afternoon, he was gone. He had already been released to his new owners. His condition wasn't critical and they were more than willing to bring him to a vet to get the issue resolved themselves.

I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to Keaton but I think it was probably better that way. Less confusion for him. I'm sure he was overjoyed to be taken out of his kennel and overjoyed to go for a walk and overjoyed on the car ride and overjoyed at being able to investigate his new home and before you know it, he'll be overjoyed with his new life.

My first foster done.

This must be kinda like how it feels when one's child moves out of the house. Happy and sad all at the same time. The house is more quiet than it's been for three weeks now with no more mad dashes and no more wrestling. Even though Smitten had a lot of fun with Keaton, I think she appreciates the break from his antics. Tonight she was finally able to carry her favorite squeaky plush toy to bed with her without having Keaton snatch it away from her to instigate a pre-bedtime tussle.

We can finally get the furniture clean again. I can sleep in again. I don't have to rush home from work anymore to release Keaton from the evil crate. My weekends are free again. No canine responsibilities again.

The trade-off, of course, is not having Keaton around to put a smile on everyone's face.

Having Keaton and then not having Keaton reminds me of what I'm missing but also tells me I'm not ready to own another dog yet (we've got Smitten but Elizabeth looks after Smitten mostly), at least not until this especially busy summer is over. Not enough time and too many weekends out of town. And, I have to admit, as much as I liked Keaton, I felt within me a small sense of detachment. That was partially because I knew he wasn't going to be with me for long but also because the memory of losing Stella and Rocky is still too close.

I'm glad Keaton was my first foster. Except for that bout of the poops at the end, it was pretty much an ideal fostering experience. Now Keaton's on to bigger and better things and, as a bonus, he's still in the neighbourhood so I can always look forward to seeing him in more wrestling matches with Smitten.



5 Comments to “Keaton's home”

  1. deva says:

    Wishing Keaton all the happiness in the world.

  2. mel says:

    We fostered for about 8 months before deciding we were truly ready for a second dog, and this second dog happened to be our foster. Since I refuse to stop fostering, this now means three dogs in the house, and all three dogs get the bedtime zoomies.

    Suffice it to say, I am quite envious of your quiet time right now.

  3. Carol Hroncek says:

    I just read http://friendlyfeathers.blogspot.com/ about the event and wow - how amazing. Then I was told that your foster was adopted at the event. Double wow. What an amazing idea and congrats on Keaton finding his home. Not a bad way to end the week!

  4. Good for Keaton, may he have a long, healthy and happy life with his adopters.
    Good for you, for helping Keaton to find his forever family.
    Giving up the first foster is the hardest.

  5. C's Mom says:

    Thank you for helping Keaton find his forever home. I hope you get to see him in the neighbourhood soon.

Leave a Reply



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A request

The reason for this blog is to help get specific dogs adopted from TAS but equally important is to try to normalize the idea of shelter dogs being just as good and just as desirable as any other dogs including those which are regularly merchandised by backyard breeders, puppy millers and those few remaining pet store owners who still feel a need to sell live animals. The single greatest stigma shelter animals still face is the belief that shelter animals are substandard animals. Anyone who has had enough experience with shelter animals knows this is untrue but the general public hasn't had the same experiences you've had. They see a nice dog photo in a glossy magazine and too many of them would never think of associating that dog with a dog from a shelter. After all, no one abandons perfectly good dogs, right? Unfortunately, as we all know, perfectly good dogs are abandoned all the time.

The public still too often associates shelter dogs with images of beat up, sick, dirty, severely traumatized animals and while we definitely sometimes see victims such as these, they are certainly not the majority and, regardless, even the most abused animals can very often be saved and made whole again.

Pound Dogs sometimes discusses the sad histories some of the dogs have suffered. For the most part, though, it tries to present the dogs not as victims but as great potential family members. The goal is to raise the profiles of animals in adoption centers so that a potential pet owner sees them as the best choice, not just as the charity choice.

So, here's the favour I'm asking. Whenever you see a dog picture on these pages you think is decent enough, I'd like you to consider sharing it on Facebook or any other social media sites you're using (I know many of you do this already and thank you for that). And when you share it, please mention that the dog in the photo is a shelter dog like so many other shelter dogs waiting for a home. If we can get even five percent of the pet buying public to see shelter dogs differently, to see how beautiful they are and how wonderful they are, and to consider shelter dogs as their first choice for a new family member, we can end the suffering of homeless pets in this country.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------