Follow iwantapounddog on Twitter

Hank was at TAS South last year for a couple of months at least and barely a person looked his way even though he was a dignified dog with great presence. It was one of those sad situations where everyone at TAS was hoping daily that someone, anyone would show him some interest. Eventually, it was decided to try him out up at TAS North and soon enough he was adopted out. I've always wondered where he ended up and who the lucky person was who saw Hank for the gentleman he truly was.

A fantastic update:


I wanted to drop a line and a few photos in thanks for the gift of Hank. My boy.

I came into the TAS facility back in December looking for a friend. I had seen Hank on the front page of your website one day and decided to at least meet the dog behind the sad eyes – when I arrived at TAS I was greeted warmly and the staff were really kind and professional.

When Hank came trotting out into the yard area he wouldn’t look at me. It was pretty funny actually and after getting to know him I now know this is his style when he meets new people. J

After 20 minutes together he finally came and said hello - 30 minutes later we were in the car on the way home.

I wanted to say to you all at TAS that you are doing a great, wonderful and noble thing in caring for these beautiful animals. Hank and I are best friends - like we’ve known each other for years – it’s as if I raised him from a pup. He’s my boy and I’m his number one.

He’s become the official mascot of my company – even has a place on our employees staff page as “Head of Security” J

He spends his days amongst kids and actors, artists and musicians. He lives in a lofty studio in downtown Toronto, plays in numerous parks and has lots of other furry pals – he even has a couple of new girlfriends! Hank is on a partially raw meat/veg diet and gets lots of love and kisses everyday.

At night he has his own bed in my quarters but usually I awake with him sprawled out beside me snoring away as usual. He’s a very happy and loved dog indeed.

Thank you so much for caring for him when I was not in his life. He came to me weeks after the loss of my mother – truthfully I believe he’s a gift from her.

Please know - The care and dedication you gave to Hank in his hours of need truly paid off not only in his well being but you have helped warm and rekindle the love in my heart.

God bless you all – what a difference you are making each and every day in so many lives.




10 Comments to “Update on Hank”

  1. Anonymous says:

    What a great update! Lucky dog, lucky human.

  2. SA MVH says:

    Whoever you are this is a wonderful update about Hank. He was one of my fav on adoption site and I even called in when he was no longer on the site to see if he'd been adopted. What a great story. Thanks.

  3. selkiem says:

    tears in my eyes.. what a beautiful update and I am so happy for both of them. Hank sounds, actually, like he has a very typical GSD demeanour. While as with any dog, there are exceptions, I find GSDs are generally reserved and do not fuss with strangers. Conversely, they are probably one of the most loyal, loving, devoted and caring "pack" dogs there are - and their humans become their "pack".

  4. Anonymous says:

    What a wonderful person to see Hank's virtues and give him a loving forever home. I just love these updates.

  5. NK says:

    A smile as big as the sky! To the adopter, you have brought a big ray of sunshine into our lives, thank you for sharing the joy of Hank's new life with all of Fred's followers - keep up the updates on this handsome dude!

  6. Anonymous says:

    What a beautiful person you are, hope you both get the love and companionship you deserve from each other, thanks for the update love and kisses to Hank xx

  7. I love reading the happy endings :)

  8. Lynn says:

    I want to work where Hank works. He is SO cool!

  9. flat faced mom says:

    What a wonderful thing to read. Gives a cranky old rescue lady hope. Yay for Hank and his owner.....

  10. Anonymous says:

    I believe these rescue dogs always end up exactly where they need to be. (And my little mutt rescue dog Abitibi thinks he's quite a handsome boy)

Leave a Reply



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A request

The reason for this blog is to help get specific dogs adopted from TAS but equally important is to try to normalize the idea of shelter dogs being just as good and just as desirable as any other dogs including those which are regularly merchandised by backyard breeders, puppy millers and those few remaining pet store owners who still feel a need to sell live animals. The single greatest stigma shelter animals still face is the belief that shelter animals are substandard animals. Anyone who has had enough experience with shelter animals knows this is untrue but the general public hasn't had the same experiences you've had. They see a nice dog photo in a glossy magazine and too many of them would never think of associating that dog with a dog from a shelter. After all, no one abandons perfectly good dogs, right? Unfortunately, as we all know, perfectly good dogs are abandoned all the time.

The public still too often associates shelter dogs with images of beat up, sick, dirty, severely traumatized animals and while we definitely sometimes see victims such as these, they are certainly not the majority and, regardless, even the most abused animals can very often be saved and made whole again.

Pound Dogs sometimes discusses the sad histories some of the dogs have suffered. For the most part, though, it tries to present the dogs not as victims but as great potential family members. The goal is to raise the profiles of animals in adoption centers so that a potential pet owner sees them as the best choice, not just as the charity choice.

So, here's the favour I'm asking. Whenever you see a dog picture on these pages you think is decent enough, I'd like you to consider sharing it on Facebook or any other social media sites you're using (I know many of you do this already and thank you for that). And when you share it, please mention that the dog in the photo is a shelter dog like so many other shelter dogs waiting for a home. If we can get even five percent of the pet buying public to see shelter dogs differently, to see how beautiful they are and how wonderful they are, and to consider shelter dogs as their first choice for a new family member, we can end the suffering of homeless pets in this country.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------