Follow iwantapounddog on Twitter


The dogs have decided on their New Year's resolutions.

Smitten's:

1. Pee on more neighbours' front yards. The scent of my pee will surely increase property values around here.

2. Get more belly rubs. Helps make my humans feel like they're accomplishing something.

3. Beg for more snacks. I don't want my humans to get too fat so I'm offering to eat their bad food for them.

4. Bark at the door more. My humans don't need any more friends visiting. They've got me and that's enough. More than they deserve enough.

5. Fight with Simone more. She's such a punk ass bitch.


6. Run away faster when it's bath time. Self-explanatory.

7. Climb on the furniture more, especially when wet. It helps me dry off quicker and the cushions on the couch smell much better afterwards.

8. Scarf down meals faster - must beat Simone. The winner gets to help the loser finish their meal - at least that's the way it should work.

9. Do a better job of leading on walks. My humans never go where I want to go so I always have to show them. They're not very smart.

10. Stop taking "No" for an answer. My hypnotic powers will overcome the humans' negativity.

Simone's:


1. Eat more

2. Sleep more

3. Fart more

4. Disco dance more

5. Get more belly rubs

6. Push Smitten out of the way when begging for snacks

7. Pull out more of Smitten's hair when fighting with her


8. Cry louder when getting nails clipped

9. Find hiding spot when called to get ears cleaned

10. What does "No!" mean and what's the difference between "No!" and "No! No! No! No! No!"?



5 Comments to “New Year's Resolutions”

  1. Erin says:

    I *love* that picture of Simone with Smitten's hair. It's like a little cloud of furry smoke is puffing out of her mouth!

  2. Anonymous says:

    Just a note to tell you how much I've enjoyed your blog (and the dogs!) this year. Keep up the great work!

  3. Blueberries says:

    Thank you for all of your wonderful insight and photos about pound dogs and of course of Smitten and Simone. You've inspired me to start volunteering at a shelter. Keep up the great work.

  4. Thanks for this post, and all of your posts Fred. Every morning as I brew my coffee at 7-ish a.m., I open my email and "bing!", there's the email from Pound Dogs. I'm an addict. And I love how my 3 pooches react whether I'm laughing or crying daily over my Pound-Dogs-Coffee experience.

    Happy New Year to all of ya.

  5. Anonymous says:

    This post is just one Big Happy and quite made my day! Your sensitivity and understanding of dogs is one of the reasons why I read your blog. (You're an awesome writer -- that's the other reason.)

    Mitzi the Pound Dog sends her greetings and would like to add that her New Year's resolution is to micro-manage the cats better. Especially when that big Fat One with the bushy tail dares to play with one of the DOG toys -- the nerve!!!

    Happy New Year to the four of you from The Purple Magpie and her four-legged trio in California!

Leave a Reply



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A request

The reason for this blog is to help get specific dogs adopted from TAS but equally important is to try to normalize the idea of shelter dogs being just as good and just as desirable as any other dogs including those which are regularly merchandised by backyard breeders, puppy millers and those few remaining pet store owners who still feel a need to sell live animals. The single greatest stigma shelter animals still face is the belief that shelter animals are substandard animals. Anyone who has had enough experience with shelter animals knows this is untrue but the general public hasn't had the same experiences you've had. They see a nice dog photo in a glossy magazine and too many of them would never think of associating that dog with a dog from a shelter. After all, no one abandons perfectly good dogs, right? Unfortunately, as we all know, perfectly good dogs are abandoned all the time.

The public still too often associates shelter dogs with images of beat up, sick, dirty, severely traumatized animals and while we definitely sometimes see victims such as these, they are certainly not the majority and, regardless, even the most abused animals can very often be saved and made whole again.

Pound Dogs sometimes discusses the sad histories some of the dogs have suffered. For the most part, though, it tries to present the dogs not as victims but as great potential family members. The goal is to raise the profiles of animals in adoption centers so that a potential pet owner sees them as the best choice, not just as the charity choice.

So, here's the favour I'm asking. Whenever you see a dog picture on these pages you think is decent enough, I'd like you to consider sharing it on Facebook or any other social media sites you're using (I know many of you do this already and thank you for that). And when you share it, please mention that the dog in the photo is a shelter dog like so many other shelter dogs waiting for a home. If we can get even five percent of the pet buying public to see shelter dogs differently, to see how beautiful they are and how wonderful they are, and to consider shelter dogs as their first choice for a new family member, we can end the suffering of homeless pets in this country.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------